Lincoln has adopted the Common Core Standards covering English and language arts, mathematics, history and social science, and science. For reading and writing we use the Lucy Calkins workshops. For Math, we use the OUSD approved Expressions curriculum. Science is a combination of FOSS and Next Generation Science Standards.
All of our courses focus on collaborative learning, inquiry, problem solving and critical thinking. Within this framework, our teachers create their own curricula, often team-teaching with grade-level partners and creating innovative learning plans.
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is a process through which children and adults develop fundamental skills for life. These are the skills we all need to effectively and ethically handle ourselves, relationships, and work. At Lincoln, we recognize that students need to feel safe, mirrored, and valued in order to engage in the work we expect from them.
To meet our socio-emotional learning goals, all classrooms use tools from the Caring Schools Community Curriculum.
- Music Education: Cantare Con Vivo partners with Cleveland, Emerson, Lincoln and Peralta Elementary Schools, as well as Vincent Academy and Melrose Leadership Academy, to offer choral music education in 65 classrooms during the school day to K-5 students. Students learn diverse folk songs from around the world while building fundamental musical skills through a sequential curriculum based on the National Standards for the Visual and Performing Arts. The Director of Cantare Children’s Choirs is Mr. Conway Tan.
- Cyber Safety curriculum for Grades 3-5
- Computer Lab
- Speech Therapy (for qualified students)
- Lincoln Garden
- Art Program The Art Teacher is Mr. Dan McClain
- Oakland Parks – Sailing into Science
- Purple Silk Music: The Purple Silk Music Education Foundation (PSMEF) is an Oakland-based nonprofit that supports music education for inner-city youth. Our programs include the Great Wall Youth Orchestra. Great Wall Youth Orchestra invites all 3rd-5th grade Lincoln Elementary students to participate in the orchestra. They meet on Saturdays at Laney College and perform world music on traditional Chinese instruments.
- East Bay Regional Parks Camp Arroyo: 4th grade science camp in the hills overlooking the Livermore Valley; the YMCA at Camp Arroyo provides an Outdoor Environmental Education overnight trip for our 4th grade classes every Spring.