In the area of literacy and language development, we implement a crosswalk between the EL Curriculum and Lucy Calkins Readers and Writers workshops. In the area of Mathematics and STEM, we implement the Eureka Squared math curriculum and teacher created extension activities, FOSS and Next Generation Science Standards.
All of our courses focus on collaborative learning, inquiry, problem solving and critical thinking. Within this framework, our teachers create their own materials with grade-level teams creating innovative learning plans and hands on learning experiences for students.
Social Emotional Learning
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is a process through which children and adults develop fundamental skills for life. These are the skills we all need to effectively and ethically conduct our lives, our relationships and work. At Lincoln, we recognize that students need to feel safe and valued in order to engage in the work we expect from them. To meet our social emotional learning goals, all classrooms use tools from the Caring Schools Community Curriculum.
- Music Education: Cantare Con Vivo partners with Cleveland, Emerson, Lincoln and Peralta Elementary Schools, as well as Vincent Academy and Melrose Leadership Academy, to offer choral music education in 65 classrooms during the school day to K-5 students. Students learn diverse folk songs from around the world while building fundamental musical skills through a sequential curriculum based on the National Standards for the Visual and Performing Arts. The Director of Cantare Children’s Choirs is Mr. Conway Tan. (See below for a new Cantare video featuring Lincoln Elementary!)
- Cyber Safety curriculum for Grades 3-5
- Computer Lab
- Speech Therapy (for qualified students)
- Lincoln Garden
- Art Program The Art Teacher is Mr. Dan McClain
- Oakland Parks – Sailing into Science
- Purple Silk Music: The Purple Silk Music Education Foundation (PSMEF) is an Oakland-based nonprofit that supports music education for inner-city youth. Our programs include the Great Wall Youth Orchestra. Great Wall Youth Orchestra invites all 3rd-5th grade Lincoln Elementary students to participate in the orchestra. They meet on Saturdays at Laney College and perform world music on traditional Chinese instruments.
- The Sierra Outdoor School: Every Spring, Lincoln 4th graders take an overnight trip to Sierra Outdoor School in Sonora, California to learn about California’s gold rush history. The annual trip is supported by the Rosita Young 4th Grade Camp Fund.
Lincoln Elementary featured in the 20th anniversary video celebrating music program – Cantare Con Vivo. Go Dragons!